Since some of you wanted the recipe for Jeen’s baked eggs, here it is (Thanks again, Jeen!):
- A couple of eggs
- Butter to grease
- Pure/thickened cream
1. Grease a small ramekin with butter. Preheat oven to 180 celcius
2. Place whatever you want inside the ramekin. Crack an egg in, season to taste with salt and pepper. I like to add another layer of whatever extras I’m using here so it is evenly distributed.
3. Crack in second egg, season. Spoon on a tablespoon or so of cream. Add grated cheese on top.
4. Bake for 14 minutes. Place in a water bath for softer yolks.
5.Serve with buttered toast.
Optional extras: bacon (pre-cooked), pancetta, prosciutto, chorizo, onions, leeks, chives, ham, sauteed mushrooms, tomatoes, chargrilled peppers (yum!), zucchini, various types of cheese (cheddar, gruyere, swiss, parmigiano), etc.
*I don’t really recommend using jamon iberico though – it’s a bit of a waste of a fine ham since it will get cooked through and the fat will render out. Have yet to try bresaola but it is a possibility.
- Use creme fraiche/ sour cream instead of pure cream.
- Stir in some harissa for little kick.
- Use a combination of a stringy cheese (mozzarella, preferably bocconcini) and a strongly flavoured one (parmigiano, failing which, grana padano) for both texture and taste. Feta won’t melt properly but will be delicious too.