Hock Chew Loh Mee (Loo Mien)

Mum called me at work asking if I was coming home early. Curious, I asked her why and she replied, “I’m cooking loo mein so I wanted to check if you’re having dinner at home tonight.”
Without skipping a beat, I said “Of course I’m coming home!!” and made sure I was on time for dinner at 8pm.

The loo mien from Kg Koh (wet market) is by far the tastiest I’ve had. Grandaunt also runs a noodle stall nearby grandma’s house and makes pretty decent loo mein and kampua. Besides these two, I love eating mum’s version because she uses PLENTY of bamboo shoots, black fungus, dried cuttlefish and pork slices. =D

This bowl was no exception. Brimming with “liu”, the eggy brown gravy was slightly gluey and flavourful. The handmade noodles were firm and chewy, while the dried cuttlefish gave the soup a slightly pungent aroma.
I love bamboo shoots, specially the crunchy ones – and my bowl was full of it. I ate the noodles with Kg Koh chili sauce, wishing I had some pickled garlic to go with it. Even so, it was still good!

I don’t have the recipe for this, but if you’re interested,
let me know and I’ll get mum to write it down! =)

(Edited: 7/4/09 @ 11.30pm – THANKS MUM!!)

Ingredients:

• 300-400gm belly pork
  • 500gm bamboo shoots (sliced)
  • Cabbage
  • Dried cuttlefish
  • Black fungus (soaked till soft)
  • Kam Cham (lily buds)
  • 3 liters ikan bilis soup
  • 3 eggs – beaten with some soy sauce
  • Corn flour + tapioca flour
  • Chopped garlic & ginger
  • Salt & sugar to taste

Method:

1. Heat some oil in the wok and fry belly pork till browned.
  2. Add in cuttlefish, and fry till fragrant. Dish out.
  3. Fry garlic and ginger, then add in belly pork, squid, bamboo shoots, cabbage, snow flower and Kam Cham.
  4. Pour in ikan bilis soup and boil till cabbage becomes soft.
  5. Add salt and sugar to taste.
  6. Thicken soup with corn and tapioca flour mixture.
  7. Add in eggs.
  8. Serve with handmade noodles (similar to pan mee noodles, but finer) and enjoy!

Comments

1. MiLo_IcE says:

Wow, looks really delicious..plan to open a restaurant in the future?

2. The lomie texture looks kinda different than ours here in Indonesia, interesting :)

OMG! I need to invite myself to your house for this! Is it vinegarish? Where did I get the idea that it was vinegarish?

Recipe please … slurrrrp!

The Loh Mee looks charming, esp the abundant sauce…so blissful!

6. Leonard Loh says:

Haven’t tried those with bamboo shoots, but I imagine it’s nice and crunchy.

Do hock chews eat it with vinegar?

Yes, if not too much trouble, recipe pls ;D

7. foodbin says:

Loh Mee with bamboo shoot-best.

foodbin – Best indeed! =D

Leo – Yes, the pickled garlic I mentioned is actually garlic in vinegar. So it’s really shiok!

SimpleGirl – Yup…pure bliss!

Julian – Sure, will ask mum for it by tonight! =D

550ml – Haha…the loh mee is not vinegar-ish, but the garlic is!

I guess loh mee is vinegar-ish in general, that’s why… ;)

Selba – It’s quite different from other loh mees too.

MiLo_IcE – Haha…that one must ask my mum! =D

9. sugarlens says:

Wow, when I saw the pictures, I thought for sure you were at some restaurant. I can’t believe your mom made that! Yes, recipe please!

Recipe posted! =D

11. fatboybakes says:

wow, arent u lucky, to have a chef at home!!!! it looks soooo goood…noodles from kg koh as in sitiawan’s kg koh? u have a courier service plying the route?

12. taufulou says:

looks good, when read the title, thought that from which restaurant or hawker area, till the end onli realise its home cook~
    *jealous (been a while since last had a home cook)

see this thing wrong time, breakfast havent eat yet..so hungry now~

13. backStreetGluttons says:

Such a wonderful mum you have ! Giving you the best of da best, everytime !

U wanna any “asli” Cameron Highlands bamboo shoots ?

BSG – Yup, I’m lucky! =)

Asli bamboo shoots? I’m intrigued. Can!! =P

taufulou – Hahaha…go make some milo!

FBB – Yup, noodles from Sitiawan Kg Koh. The lady makes them fresh (must call to order) so we usually buy 5-10kgs at one go!

If you want, I’ll ask mum to get some for you when she goes back. =)

15. Sapuche says:

I love the look of that dark broth, and I’d never think of combining pork, cuttlefish, bamboo shoots, and black fungus. It sounds great! Lucky you have a mom who’s such a great cook! Oh, and btw, what is “shiok”?

It tasted great too! =D

“Shiok” is used mostly to express great satisfaction. I think it’s more commonly used in Malaysia and Singapore. ;)

17. Anonymous says:

makes me drool …New Road loo mien !! yum yum…even better, kampua with loo mien gravy…..i need to make a trip back soon.

18. how does the soup become black. did your mom use soya sauce or oyster sauce