Sin Lai Ping @ Lucky Garden, Bangsar

*short post. Don’t worry Joe, my reply to your tag will be done soon! =)

Of late, I’ve been craving butter chicken and would ask rif to eat it with me at Sin Lai Ping. We go there quite often; I reckon at least twice a month. Everytime we go there, we would order the same thing – butter chicken (RM12) and sweet & sour pork (RM10). Did I not mention we are creatures of habit? =PThe thick gravy is creamy, smooth and mildly spicy. I love the aroma the cili padi omits in the gravy. And the fried boneless chicken leg is crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Good enough on its own, but together with butter gravy, it is shiokness, especially with white rice. I find the sweet and sour pork gravy slightly on the sweet side. However, the pork pieces are nice and meaty, and coated with the right amount of batter. Some places tend to drench the pork pieces with gravy, causing the dish to be soggy but Sin Lai Ping’s version is lightly coated with tomato gravy so the pork pieces remain crispy. Overall, I find this decent. Dinner cost RM24 inclusive of 2 plates of rice. Pretty reasonable for Bangsar standards, don’t you think?

Ambiance: 2/10
Price: 7/10
Food: 6.5/10 (non-halal)
Verdict: The food is decent and I like coming here because it’s close to home.

No.16, Lorong Ara Kiri 3,
Lucky Garden, Bangsar
016 221 7313 / 012 372 7301
(Closed every alternate Sunday)

Comments

1. Sugar Bean says:

Visit twice a month? This place should be good then. The butter chicken looks good, and even spicy too. Yeah, agree that the price is reasonable. :)

2. safe choices. nowadays i tend to order sweet and sour pork a lot.
    maybe cz i'm sick of all the other intepretations of pork dishes.

too ambitious yet failing to impress as much.

ohh..this is the butter chic ya recommended? Bangsar..near enough!! Maybe tapau aft my gym!

2 dishes, 2 rice = RM24???
    today I had 4 dishes, 2 rice + 1 bottle of barley… all RM21.50 lol!!! Wanna know… stay tuned to my blog la… never see your contribution to mine… sigh!!!

5. you should try their marmite kai teng also.. pretty yummy :)

sometimes they do give you free soup, which I find pretty delicious too

6. butter chicken looks tasty, but i wonder if they do butter squid too … i have a craving for that! :D

oh, excellent shots bbabe! sweet n sour pork is cumi's fav.. such a gwailo i tell u.. hehe;)

wah ur ambience 2 out of 10 ar..hahaha maybe to tapau home n eat? looks good..nothing like eating nearby the house hor..

Joe – Yup…super convenient for both rif and myself! Ta pau also can la…but I prefer to eat there. The chicken remains crispy. =)

Cumi & Ciki – Thanks! Hahaha…ok wat…I also like to eat sweet sour pork. rif eats it almost every Sunday ya know! 0_o

Sean – I think they should have butter squid. I've only seen them deep fry squid. Then get them to pour butter sauce all over!

Steven – I don't really like their free soup. A bit tasteless, no?

10. I tried a variety of their soup. Sometimes with winter melon, sometimes with mini-squids, and sometimes with lotus roots. Not too bad lar.. Personally, I think it is pretty good for a 'free' soup :)

Their 'tai chow' also pretty good. Man-ee min, fly lice and ee min cantonese style is some of my favourites.

leo – Where got? I also got contribute!! 0_o

RM21.50??? Sure or not? Bring me go la!!

nomad – Yup. This is the one!

J2Kfm – I agree…it's hard to go wrong with sweet sour pork. Unless the cook is lousy as hell!

Sugar Bean – Not to say good la. Convenient and decent. I thought it was reasonable…until leo said he got 4 dishes for RM21.50!

Steven – I prefer their Cantonese style hor fun. Dun really like yee mee done that way. ;)

13. Simon Seow says:

Used to come here with my friend when she's studying in Pantai Nursing College.

Ya hor…it's quite nearby that college!

BLISS!

;-)

Personalised service with the "reserved" table, as well as ordering on speed-dial before hand … MAGIC!

Can't wait to write this up when I get back to AD … Thanks for introducing us to SLP, and espesh for meeting up ;-)

16. Vincent Ang says:

Had dinner there on Sunday after reading good reviews . However I was disappointed :-(
    The dark hokkien mee lacked the wok flavor , hardly any ingredients .
    Sweet sour pork was too sweet n not crispy .
    The spinach with century eggs were ordinary .
    Sotong with salted eggs lacked the flavor from the eggs , hardly crispy n had too much floor coating .
    Doubt will go back :-(