Two Monkeys Satay Bar & Cafe, Jaya One

I recently met up with Malcolm for dinner at Two Monkeys Satay Bar & Cafe in Jaya One. Located opposite Brussels Beer Cafe, Two Monkeys is a “satay bar” that serves westernized satays (skewered meat). Malcolm had the Coconut Rush Latte, while I went for the Choc Cookie Latte. I found the lattes a tad too sweet, especially the former.We ordered the Monkeys Special Platter and a plate of pasta to share. 10 minutes later, Aizat suggested we skip the pasta, as the platter was filling enough for two. (FYI, Aizat is the co-owner/chef and the “male monkey” in Two Monkeys) The platter consisted of fried button mushrooms, BBQ chicken wings, chicken satay, beef satay, squid satay and cheesy fries. Of the lot, I liked the squid satay (far right) best. Marinated with chili and lime, the tender squid was piquant and flavourful. I thought the chicken wings were mediocre. Eating the wings was a messy affair as they were generously coated with BBQ sauce! Tastewise, I found the sauce a bit too sweet and the wings were on the dry side. Instead of peanut sauce, we were given garlic mayo and sour cream as dipping sauce. Tangy, rich and smooth, both of us couldn’t stop dipping our fries in it!We also had the prawn & bacon satay, on the house. Thanks Aizat! The prawns were succulent (almost crunchy-like) and the bacon wrap was nice and not overly chewy. Overall, I found the food decent, with a few hits and misses. Prices are not cheap, but they don’t compromise on quality. If you want something different from the usual satay, give this place a try!

Ambiance: 6.5/10
Price: 5/10
Food: 6/10 (pork-free)
Verdict: For variety, go for the Monkeys Special Platter.

L-12A-G, Block L (opposite Brussels Beer Cafe)
Palm Square
Jaya One
012 2092812

Comments

1. Look so tempting and delicious. Wanted to go and try out . Thanks

2. very indulging stuff. i’ll rmbr this place if i go Jaya One again. but then again, there are so many outlets there.

quite a funny name for a plc serving satay..
    saw this when iwas at fronterra. Hv u tried Kissaten’s char siew pizza?

I am fascinated by the satays available on the menu but when we went for drinks one night, had to sit at one of the few tables outside. It stank like a full-blown club inside, not conducive for dining, even if just satays!

5. breadpitt says:

monin syrup…aww love it…! used to make latte out of it at previous work place

6. Life for Beginners says:

Someone needs to tell A Lil Fat Monkey about this place, FAST! :)

7. Sugar Bean says:

So many types of satay served, would love to try the prawn and bacon satay, sounds nice. And the garlic mayo and sour cream, they all sound so new to me! Interesting. ^^

Sugar Bean – It’s also relatively new to me. I wouldn’t compare this with the famous Kajang satay, as they are completely different. ;)

LFB – Ahahaha…then he can join as the third monkey? =P

breadpitt – Oooohhhh…you must be quite the latte maker then!

550ml – I sat inside the shop but it didn’t stink to me. I’m guessing you’re talking about the deep inside of the shop as I sat by the door.

nomad – I thought the name was funny too! No wor…is it any good?

J2Kfm – Too many outlets, I haven’t tried most of them either!

jenny – No prob…enjoy!

10. Malcolm Wong says:

the prawn & bacon satay was the house?? I didn't know that… the food must have distracted me… or the constant craving of moist brownies coated in warm chocolate sauce… mm mmmm…

Malcolm – Yup…it was on the house! I think it's the brownie's fault… =P