Sri Ghazal Beriani, Bandar Baru Bangi

I have been craving Beriani Gam for the past couple of weeks and finally got what I wanted last weekend. Since it was a spontaneous thing, rif relied on the GPS and we ended up at Sri Ghazal, Bandar Baru Bangi.The signboard reads, “Beriani Gam Istimewa Resepi Original Negeri Johor”. In English, it means Special Beriani Gam Recipe Originally from Johor. The long grain rice is cooked with rempah beriani (spices), bawang goreng (fried shallots) and minyak sapi (ghee) for flavour and aroma. The rice is well separated, and is neither too dry nor too moist. Although they claim to serve beriani gam, it was merely beriani.According to rif, it is called beriani gam when the rice and curry is first cooked separately and then steamed together in a metal pot. Sri Ghazal’s version was rice and meat cooked in separate pots. Each set comes with rice, meat, a piece of papadam, acar and a bowl of dal. I enjoyed the kambing masak beriani. Well infused with spices, the lamb was very tender. A sign that it has been cooked for hours. The dark gravy was thick, sweetish and not overly spicy. It went well with the fluffy rice.rif and I liked that the meat was not gamey. Gamey meat puts us off. I thought the acar was not pickled long enough. The dal tasted like what you get at mamak stalls, so nothing to shout about.Despite its lighter colour, the ayam masak beriani is cooked the same way as the lamb. The fall-off-the-bone drumstick was flavourful from the thick, creamy gravy. Between the two, we liked the lamb beriani better. The lamb briyani cost RM8 and chicken, RM7. I was satisfied with lunch, but disatisfied because it was not beriani gam. rif being a dear took me to look for the famous Beriani Gam Putra-jaya right after. Read about it in my next post! =D

Ambiance: 6/10
Price: 6.5/10
Food: 6.5/10 (halal)
Verdict: Decent beriani, comfortable ambiance and decent pricing.

117, Jalan 8/1,
Seksyen 8,
43650 Bandar Baru Bangi
Selangor

Comments

wahhh..looks gd, shouldnt hv read this at 1230am!
    cant wait fr ur nx one on the briyani gam!

pardon me, i haven’t heard of berani gam….howz it like? eager to check out your next post abt it!

3. taufulou says:

har…that is the first time i heard about briyani gam…wonder how it taste like!?? geng, from this place eat already unsatisfied fly till to another end of the destination..

looking forward for the pics..cepat lah!!!

4. Timothy Low says:

Yeah, I’ve heard of this place and seen it many times. But I never really stop by to try it out. Guess now you gave me a good reason to do so….

5. I don’t think I’ve tried beriani or briyani food…. So many food to catch up :)

6. backStreetGluttons says:

We think the Mamaks do a better briyani ( but terribly expensive ! try Pelita Bangsar) while the Malay Johore version much underpowered

In any case we call them expensive colorful bluffing fried rice

Selba – Haha…try it the next time you're in Malaysia!

I'm also quite new to beriani…I've just begun exploring. ;)

Timothy – Hehe…yup, go try! =)

taufulou – Ya lor…I also didn't know got difference. Until rif told me!

Coming…must write the next post nice nice mar! ;)

SimpleGirl – Gam is nicer! =P

thenomadGourmand – Hehe…that's y I try not to read food blogs at this time… >P

BSG – I tried Pelita Bangsar quite a while back, but wasn’t too impressed wor…I found Mahbub’s beriani better.

Maybe I’ll go try again! =D

9. the rice used is Basmathi rice-long and whole grain.

10. worldwindows says:

Very nice for a heavy brunch and a lazy afternoon esp the mutton curry beriani.

worldwindows – Yup! I felt soooo sleepy after the meal… ;P

foodbin – Ooohhh…didn’t know that. Thanks for the info! =)

paiseh, never heard of briyani “GAM” :P

13. Ah, a GPS is crucial for finding delicious foods! :) Your photos of the different kinds of masak beriani are incredible, and the Set Kambing is just flat-out amazing looking. Spiced lamb cooked for hours until it just falls off the bone? You’ve got me dreaming now of lunch…

tried 1 b4 at subang..somewhere in the USJ area i think…that was quite good..not sure if it was a authentic gem or just a normal briyani!

Joe – My aunt told me about the Subang one, and she said it was good too!

Must go try…aiks, so many things I want to eat, but not enough tummy space for everything! *_*

Sapuche – Hahaha…the lamb was goooooddd… =P

mimi – No need to paiseh, I also didn’t know until recently! ;)

16. i love long grain rice!!
    and of cos serve with the lamb ~ ^_^

High 5!! Tender lamb beriani rocks! =D

18. Anonymous says:

Waah.. another beriani in Bangi… have to test this one too…

I prefer non-gam beriani coz too soft..
    So far tried Anje.. hmmm what can i say, queue was long..nasi was a bit soft..
    Tried Mattop Beriani.. ok lah..good la..but a bit salty..
    Tried JM Beriani sec 9 BBBangi..good..
    Another JM Subang..also good..
    Power Beriani in Shah Alam ..ok..
    Puteri beriani Shah Alam ..good..but a little mushy..

Conclusion.. JM beriani is still my fav. (at first i thought they were mamak..hehe). Their rice fluffy, not greasy, no gamey smell on mutton..nice..

Anyway, Ghazal, here I come to try.. hehe..

I tried JM Bariani as well, and I think it is slightly tastier than Ghazal but Ghazal is cheaper.

20. Just found out theres one stall that sells superb beriani located besides Masjid Bangsar. Unfortunately it only opens once a week, during friday prayer. Look for the sign Belanga Beriani Batu Pahat. They provide free drinks too!

21. org berpuasa says:

Bad service this restaurant..br pergi semalam….dah la beratur masuk.sampai turn aku ckp dah habis beriani….x hormat org nak berbuka…baik xpayah bukak kedai….akak yg lain pon muka poyoje….ini kedai pikir nk untungje..bkn nk serve org puasa….org makan kat kedai semalam 20 lebih orgje ade je beriani tuk diorang….

Lain kali kalau x serve utk berbuka tampal notis didepan….atau x payah bukak kedai..igt bagi org makan brrbuka lagi besar pahala.,..aku berbuka lambat semalam sebab kedai ni….go for kfc or mc d pasti tidak mengecewakan….tiada niat nak cakap x elok tapi owner harus layan pelanggan yg datang bukan buat muka toyaje…arini kedai oo laku..esok lusa belum tentu lagi…rezki Allah yg bagi..kn igt tu….go for others beriani house more better service…..