Departure Lounge, Solaris Mon’t Kiara

I had breakfast at Departure Lounge last Sunday with rif and Jeen. According to Jeen, they serve pretty good sandwiches and coffee at reasonable prices. The place has a very cosy feel with a simple, lovely decor. Travel books are placed on bookshelves at a corner, so one can read them while enjoying a cup of coffee or breakfast.I went for the “Do It My Way” (available all day), with 7 items for RM12.90. I choose the grilled tomato, fried eggs, turkey bacon, hash brown, chicken sausages, sauteed mushrooms and pancake. With a cup of regular long black.The tomato was charred on the top and raw inside. A rush job, and every bit disappointing. I love sauteed fresh mushrooms but these canned ones were no where as good. For RM12.90, I cannot complain. Pancakes should be soft and fluffy. However, this was hard, rubbery and difficult to swallow despite liberal lashings of butter and honey.The sausages are the supermarket types, nothing great. I liked the hash brown; it was nice and crispy on the outside. While the turkey bacon was decent, it was no substitute for the real thing. The thought of runny yolks on toast makes me drool, so this was my favourite in the set. Maybe next time I’ll replace the tomato, mushrooms and pancake with 3 serves of fried eggs! =DJeen also had the breakfast set. But unlike greedy me, she had 5 items. She did not like the mushrooms as well, and barely ate them. According to her, the caffe latte was decent.My long black was strong and thick; just the way I like it! This is one of the few places that does good and reasonably priced coffees. rif’s Cuban Toastini came with a side of homemade salsa and nachos. This was better than my breakfast set. The toastini consists of smoked chicken, roast beef, pickles and mustard in a ciabatta. The chicken and beef added complex flavours to the warm, crusted bread. The ciabatta was more airy than I liked it to be. Probably because I’m accustomed to the denser version. The salsa was tangy, with thick chunks of tomatoes and bits of herbs. It was not spicy, but went well with the nachos. Since I like my salsa spicy, I didn’t think too highly of this. The apple juice came from the box. I don’t think I need to elaborate on this.
Departure Lounge is a nice place to meet up with friends and read up on travel books. While the food isn’t spectacular, it is “home-y” and reasonably priced. Plus, I really like the ambiance!

Ambiance: 8/10
Price: 7/10
Food: 5.5/10 (pork-free)
Verdict: Average food, good coffees.

Solaris Mon’t Kiara
10, Jalan Solaris 4
50480 Kuala Lumpur
03 6203 0362

Comments

1. this place looks good. many reviews liao, gotta get myself there someday. pity its rather far from town. not so accessible.

another concept dining place…not really for the food, but the ambiance…sometimes is true ya! the place looks so relax

That’s the thing about fry-ups.. they need to be really spectacular to justify why we don’t just buy stuff at the supermarket and fry them up ourselves… I mean how hard to heat a pan and dunk sausages in right? Nevertheless, they still get top marks for concept, I’m going to try maybe the sandwiches instead.

4. I’ve tried the one at Aman Suria. Went there a few times and found the food and atmosphere to be quite acceptable. I like their pick and choose breakfast. :D

5. What a nice place to hang out and also the food looks good :)

Selba – The place is nice, food was alright. ;)

IonBuck – I like only the eggs and hash browns. =P

550ml – Totally agree with you on the fry-ups! The place is lovely, you should go try!

SimpleGirl – Yup, one of the very few I like! >)

J2Kfm – Not THAT far la…

On weekends, traffic is less of a pain. =)

7. worldwindows says:

Good on concept short on delivery?

8. vialentino says:

yo bangsar babe…i love the telur mata kerbau….got two somemore…feel like pecah the telur and suck the yolk…hehehe

9. backStreetGluttons says:

Must be the flavor of the month here , so many people have talked about this place , guess many are departing somewhere, after they smack the solar goodies!
    haha

BSG – Yeah, must be the flavour of the month! =)

vialentino – High five!! =D

worldwindows – Prices are reasonable, so I guess cannot expect too much lor…

But the cookie looks really good…maybe I’ll have one next time! ;)

errr dun think i would choose sausages man..anytime for gourmet 1s!

12. The idea and execution looked great. But bacon and sausae would really need to be made from pork for best result. Can you get those in KL?

Hazza – Yes, it has to be pork for pure satisfaction.

I know Jarrod & Rawlins, Bulldog and Sid's Pub serves English Breakfast with pork… ;)

Joe – Aiyor…gourmet ones have to pay gourmet prices lor…

14. the 7 items looks hastily cooked-quite a homely atmosphere

I don’t like the mushroom either~~

mimi – I’m sticking to eggs!

foodbin – If I had time, I would stay for a few more hours! =D

17. Leonard Loh says:

The place sure looks good. I like the cozy feel. And gosh i think the couple in your photos are my friends. Can't be sure though.

Haven't been there, a bit too far from my place. How's it compared to Jarrod & Rawlins? J&R is a little pricey, i think.

I've only had drinks in J&R. But I've seen the prices, and J&R is more expensive.

But non-halal…yum!! =P

19. hi from 7000 km away
    sandwiches over breakfast still (here, at least)
    i actually do want to go back to try every single sandwich/ toastie they have
    and for more coffee :)

*shakes head* Every single one?? Damn “see fatt han” la you!!

And have loads of fun! Proud proud proud of you! =D